Liaison Committee Between Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Quebec Harvesting Sector
The American Fisheries Society
Organization of the 2014 annual meeting in Québec City
The American Fisheries Society (AFS)
- The AFS is an international organization that has over 10,000 individual members across North America and around the world.
- The mandate of the AFS to promote the conservation and sustainability of fisheries resources and aquatic ecosystems is consistent with DFO’s mission.
- AFS membership is composed of aquatic science professionals, most often employed by state, provincial, and federal agencies as well as universities and the private sector.
- A certain number of members are graduate students from more than 58 universities across the U.S. and Canada.
- Every year, AFS rotates its annual meeting among its four geographic divisions located in North America.
- In 2010, Quebec City won the bid for this prestigious event and will host in August 2014 the 144th edition of the AFS annual meeting.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada is responsible for the organisation of this event in collaboration with its regional partners.
The 144th annual meeting
- The number of expected attendees is around 1,500. Traditionally, participants are mostly from North America.
- This year, the organizing committee is putting a lot of effort reaching the international community.
- The event often generates a certain profit which is partly distributed among selected not-for-profit organizations.
- The event will generate more than $3 million in economic impact for the region (see annex).
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the former Prime Minister of Quebec Jean Charest as well as several organizations have already confirmed their partnership and have sent us letters formalizing their commitment.
- Natural Resource Canada
- Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation du Québec
- Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement, de la Faune et des Parcs
- Université du Québec à Rimouski
- L’Institut des sciences de la mer de Rimouski
- La Technopole Maritime du Québec
- Merinov – Quebec Fisheries and Aquaculture Innovation Centre
- Quebec City’s Chamber of Commerce
- Université Laval, Quebec
- TRADE SHOW
- MEETING SESSIONS
- POSTER SESSION
- CONTINUING EDUCATION CLASSES
- CAREER FAIR
- NETWORKING ACTIVITIES
Benefits for the fishing industry
- Opportunity to increase visibility and promote fishing and aquaculture sustainable practices (ecocertification, traceability, etc.).
- Promote Quebec seafood products during the Trade Show and other networking activities.
- Develop relationships with federal, provincial and private industry partners.
- Provide networking opportunities to establish and increase professional contacts.
- Continue efforts to recruit partners and volunteers to help with logistics.
- Recruit partners to be in charge of the organisation of symposiums during the conference.
- Seek out for financial partners to reach AFS 2014 fundraising goal and for in kind contributions for the raffle.
- Ask local organizations to reserve booths and participate to the Trade Show.
- Continue with the organization of student activities: career fair and networking activities.
- Date modified: